A year of owning a Proton Preve. Is it really worth considering? [Revised]

It's been almost a year I owned a Proton Preve Executive (20th August 2014). Basically, it is a dream come true. I got the car after Hari Raya last year. It's a lot of consideration and argument took place before I got it though. Alhamdulillah, so far I'm grateful making the choice to buy this car.

Peoples says Proton are having bad reputations for it's quality. But yet, I bought it. I guess it might be because of I'm a fans of Proton.

So how does it drive after 1 year of ownership? Hopefully I can describe it as a guide for peoples that having thought of buying new Preve. 

The models offered in market.


There are 2 trims of Preve in the market. Both are 5 stars ANCAP certified. The major different between these 2 models are the engine and drivetrain. There is a turbo (CFE) and NA engine (IAFM+). For drivetrain, both are using CVT type. For CFE, it is using seven-speed Punch Powertrain VT3 and the latter is six-speed Punch Powertrain VT2. The turbo engine obviously more powerful with 138 horsepower (103 kW) at 5,000 rpm and the other only produce about 107 horsepower (80 kW) at 5,750 rpm.

I've bought the the Executive models because  one it's a little cheaper and two it have a lower cost of maintenance. Besides that, it's been a lot of considerations before making a choice. To me, I'm a bit insecure thinking that turbo technology are quite new to Proton. In fact, this is the first time Proton utilizing turbo technology.

Highlights on safety, the EXEC models equipped with with 2 airbags and ABS (not: after December 2013 all trims are having 6 airbags). Performance wise, the handling are tuned by Lotus.


What about the drive and feels?


Acceleration are noticeable sluggish. I think it is because of the CVT gearbox. I still didn't get used to it. Compare to my wife's Perodua Viva, the acceleration are much better. In Preve, sometimes it's jerky in slow speed if you are trying to climb the hill/slope from stop, you might have a big problem. The car might not move. I have searched the net and found out this might be the biggest problem with CVT type gearbox. Even Nissan Murano having this issue. Funny right, even SUV having this issue. 

Handling are the BEST things I found in Preve. I had drove a lot of normal passenger cars and I think the Preve are among the best handling cars. The high speed cornering excellent considering it is a heavy car. On the other hand, the suspension are a bit stiff. But actually it is still comfortable. 

I love cruising with this car. It is so stable that I hardly noticed when I went more than 120 km/h.  The NVH are okay and acceptable.

The fuel consumption?


This one I frankly said I can't give any good answer. I didn't compare much with other cars that have the same engine power, weight etc. I think it's still reasonably good. Actually it depends on how it drives. After so long my car showing the FC at about 9.7/100km. 

The Speed? Powarrr?


In city driving and in low speed, it feels sluggish. But when I'm cruising, to continue accelerate it will be much smoother and quicker. On the paper, it wrote the top speed is 170km/h, but I had went  up to 200km/h once. Down the hill with no passenger and luggage whatsoever. 


Overall


I think I love this car. I got best value for the budget that I have now. There are lots of people said this car is problematic by having quality issue, reliability issue etc. But so far the car perform nicely. It is just turned 1 year old. Not fair to say anything yet.

Comments

Popular Posts